Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New Beginnings/Spring?

Welcome to my blog!  This is the first time I have ever attempted to write for the public (so naturally I am nervous, please be kind!).  I am starting this to share my thoughts and journey as I have moved from working in corporate America to working for myself in alternative medicine. I have actually chosen the path less followed and so far I have found it challenging and rewarding. I will write more soon about how I chose to take the new path but for now here is to new beginnings.
This morning I saw that the snow bells in my yard are up and their little white blossoms are about to open. Yesterday morning I heard a few birds as the sun began to rise. Both of these are sure signs of Spring. I can feel the change in the energy as things move from stillness to upward momentum.
I have spent this winter getting all of the pieces together for my new business (an acupuncture practice).  Having graduated from acupuncture school in the fall I have spent the winter opening my practice, incorporating my practice, getting bank accounts set up and tax accounts set up, setting up a website, facebook page and handing out materials about my practice.  Lots of challenging and boring stuff! It has been a good lesson in managing lists and finding motivation for doing not so pleasant tasks.  In the past I have procrastinated on tasking I was not excited about doing.  This time I was much more able to get out of my own way and just check things off the list. I found myself every morning picking a few tasking and working through them. Maybe it is the motivation of it being my own business? Still the more and more I think about it, it has to do with a new ability to impose structure on myself.  I have always worked in highly structured environments as an HR person and now I am responsible for my own schedule, my own success and failure.  As scarey as that seems some days it also possess a lot of power. I think the new responsibility instead of scaring me into inactive has pushed me to motivation. Now don't get me wrong there is still a lot of thing un-filed ( I hate filing) and un-finished.  I still have challenges I need to undertake ( marketing for instance, another one of my not so favorite things) Still I am making progress a little at a time.  Maybe that is the key, rather than looking at the whole project and trying to tackle all of it I have taken it in small chunks. Also when ever I notice a task that I keep pushing to the bottom of my list i begin to really ask myself about it.  What is it about this task that has be blocked? Is it something I need to just face head on or do I need help from someone else? Am I resisting this task because someone else said I had to do it ( yes I am that stubborn)? Can I find some way to take at least one step towards doing it? Once I have truely analysed it and found one step I can take the rest seems to flow. I have found it personally very powerful to just get things done.
So as spring is about to spring forth I am taking my new learned motivation and my new sense of personal power and breaking forth from the bonds of winter.  I plan to show my colors as the flowers do, to let my light shine as never before and make my own path. So here is the beginning of Spring and the beginning my new blog.
Love to all
Idalee

2 comments:

  1. I love it, Idalee! Thanks for sharing your journey. I think people will gain a lot from you sharing your perspective. Here's to you!

    ReplyDelete